When you start building your home, it may be of high concern for you to build an energy efficient home. As we move forward, it’s becoming more obvious that we need to work on saving the planet and reducing our carbon footprint. Every little bit helps. And it’s easy to make your home energy efficient, so why not start today? DIY solutions for energy efficiency are not only simple, but they can also be cost effective! Here are some awesome ways to keep your carbon footprint from stepping over the Earth.
Ways to Reduce Energy Use
A carbon footprint is produced by how much energy you are utilizing. For example, if your home is using a lot of electricity, that’s burning up a significant amount of coal that could be used for something else. Here are some ways you can reduce energy use.
- Turn off the lights! Lighting is the number one culprit of energy wasting. It’s so easy to walk out of a room and forget to flick the switch. Simply turn off the lights when you leave the room, and this will not only save energy, but also money on your electric bill.
- Buy energy efficient appliances. This makes a world of difference. With a water-saving washing machine or a low-energy green fridge, you’re saving electricity and water. You’ll see the difference in your bill, and the Earth will thank you.
- Set the AC at a proper temperature. It’s nice to be comfortable, but a thermostat can waste energy very quickly. Cooling your home takes quite a lot of power, especially during Maryland’s hot summers. Solve this by setting your AC to a higher temperature, and you’ll save energy and cash.
- Solar panels. Pretentious? Expensive? Not really. Solar panels are becoming cheaper every day, and can be installed on any type of home. And if anyone says saving energy is pretentious, they don’t know what they’re talking about. Renewable energy is more than just the way of the future.
- Seal your windows and doors. Outside air leaking inside means your home is working harder to heat and cool itself. You’re letting out previously spent energy! To keep yourself cooler or warmer, seal your windows to stop the outdoors from coming indoors.
Thomas Builders encourages well-planned energy usage.
Whether you are looking for the perfect home for your family or looking to create your ideal home from scratch, Thomas Builders has over 25 years of experience in new home construction and the expertise to bring your dreams to life. We offer 10 ready to build models in addition to custom services at an affordable price. For more information, contact us online or give us a call at (301) 863-5550. If you want to see some examples of our beautiful work, follow us on Facebook,Twitter,Pinterest, and Google+.